Friday 14 December 2012

Student Suppers - Risotto

I was only introduced to this Italian rice dish earlier this year when I turned vegetarian for Lent, but even since turning carnivorous again it has remained firmly on my menu being eaten at least once a week.
The good thing about risotto is you can make it exactly what you want; whilst I keep mine simple  using the recipe below, my house mate Heather tops her's off with cream cheese and smoked salmon. Sometimes I swap the veggie stock for chicken stock for a creamier taste, sometimes I use red wine instead of white, and sometimes I don't add any wine at all - usually because I've drunk it all!

So, here's my simple risotto recipe for one serving:

Ingredients:

  • 100ml of rice (white or special risotto rice - much more expensive, so I stick to just white)
  • 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/2 a white onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 glass white wine (optional - if you leave it out, just add an extra 50ml of stock)
  • 400ml of vegetable stock (more if the wine is left out)
  • Peas
  • 1 tbs of olive oil

Method:

  1. Soften the onion in the oil, and then add the garlic (careful not to burn it!)
  2. Add the rice to the onion, garlic and oil. Stir it thoroughly to coat the rice in the oil.
  3. Pour in the wine and stir constantly - so the rice doesn't stick to the pan - until all the wine has been absorbed into the rice.
  4. Add the stock a little at a time, adding more once the liquid has been sucked up by the rice - and keep stirring!
  5. Chuck in the peas when you have about 100ml of stock left so they are cooked.
The cooking should take about 15 minutes (your arm will ache but it's worth it) and should use up all your stock, but just add more water (or wine!) if you run out.

Enjoy!


No comments: