Monday 13 February 2012

Student Suppers: Toad In The Hole

For anyone that reads my ramblings regularly you’ll know that I am a student. It is a well known fact that students are generally poor, but I want to bust the myth that we just live on beans on toast and bowls of cereal so we can spend on money on beer and vodka (or rum, in my case). So, I’ve decided to run this series called ‘Student Suppers’: they are recipes that I’ve found, come up with or tweaked that are cheap, tasty and fulfilling (hopefully healthy too, but I can’t promise anything!).

This dish has become a staple supper for me - in fact, I have it every Sunday instead of a roast! Toad in the hole, in my opinion, is delicious! I make it with three sausages, a little onion (and/or garlic sometimes too), and serve it with baked beans when I make it just for me, but it could be doubled up and serve as many people as you can. Of course, you could make gravy with it, but seeing as that is the Devil's liquor I would never do it.

 Ingredients:
2-3 (depending on how greedy you are) pork sausages (or Quorn ones!)
1/2 white onion
50g plain flour
1 medium egg
50ml milk
25ml cold water
1 tbs oil (if needed)
Gravy, beans, ketchup, whatever you feel like to serve.

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C, and cook sausages for 10 minutes in a metal pan.
  2. Meanwhile we can make the batter: sieve the flour into a bowl, add the egg and then whisk in the milk and water mixture until you have a smooth mixture.
  3. Add the onions, roughly chopped, to the sausages and any extra oil if needed, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
  4. When the oil is spitting hot (the hotter the oil, the crispier the batter) add the mixture and cook for a further 30 minutes.
  5. Serve with your extra little thing and enjoy!

No comments: